2018 is quickly coming to a close and with that comes the close scrutiny of our state’s pinball standings.
For those who might not know, playing in IFPA-sanctioned events earn you WPPRs (world pinball player ranking points) that contribute to both your world and state rank (or province/district rank for those in Canada or Washington DC). Only points earned playing in tournaments held in Colorado in the current calendar year will contribute to your Colorado state rank.
Changes for 2018-19
- First of all, Colorado is an IFPA Super State which means the top 24 ranked players will be invited to play in our State Championship with those ranked 1-8 getting first round byes!
- Secondly, there will be no entry fee this year and we’ll be paying out to all 24 players who compete!
- Finally, Adam Lefkoff who has been Colorado’s long-serving IFPA State Representative has passed the torch to Snow Galvin who will be running this year’s State Championship. So a giant thank you is in order to Adam for his time and commitment to pinball in Colorado over the many years. I personally would like to thank him for his ongoing support and encouragement from literally my first tournament to today.
For Those on the Bubble
There are multiple opportunities remaining to make this year’s cut. The following tournaments are scheduled in December with those events underlined having the biggest point-earning potential.
- 1Up LoDo – 3-strike Monthly Tournament
- Press Play – Monthly Tournament
- Durango – Ugly Sweater Pinball Potluck Party
- Wonderland – Silver Balls Rock III
- Blizzard Mountain – 3-strike Monthly
- 1Up Colfax – Ultimate Pinball Carnage
- Durango – Sickbird Casa Group Knock-Out
- 1Up LoDo – Ultimate Pinball Challenge
- Lyons Classic Pinball – Monthly Double Elimination
- J Bo’s – Bad Santa Pinball Tournament
- Pinball Jones – Monthly 3-strike
- Pinball Jones Campus West – New Year’s Eve 4 Strike
The When and the Where
Colorado State Championship
When: January 19, 2019
Where: The 1up – Colfax
Practice: 10am – 10:30am
Start Time: 10:30am
Qualified Player Invitations
On January 1st all qualified players will receive an emailed invitation. If anyone in the top 24 declines to play, I will work my way down the list of players until all spots are filled. The two players just beyond the cutline will be asked to appear as alternates in case of no-shows.
The tournament will be run as a best-of-seven, single elimination bracket with the top 8 ranked players receiving first round byes. There is no entry fee, just quarters needed to play machines. Payouts to all 24 players. DO NOT LEAVE without getting your cash. Don’t make me chase you down, please.
Each match will be a best-of-seven. The higher seeded player will have choice of machine or position for the 1st game, with the loser of each subsequent game having choice of machine or order, until someone has won 4 games. A machine may not be played more than once in the same match.
Each player will have the opportunity for 30 seconds of practice time before starting every game of every match. This is to ensure that both players have a chance to get familiar with the machine.
The winner of the match advances to the next round, while the loser is eliminated.
The 3rd/4th place Consolation Final will be played as a best-of-three instead of a best-of-seven like all other rounds, using the same rules. This match is required due to payouts.
- 1st place – 28% of the prize pool
- 2nd place – 16% of the prize pool
- 3rd place – 10% of the prize pool
- 4th place – 6% of the prize pool
- 5th through 8th place – 4% of the prize pool each
- 9th through 16th place – 2% of the prize pool each
- 17th through 24th place – 1% of the prize pool each
You can see the payouts as they exist with the tournament results that have been posted thus far on the Colorado’s IFPA ‘stats’ page. (Yes, I know the IFPA and/or our TDs are a little behind with posting/submitting results.)
In addition to money, the winner will receive a trophy and secure his/her spot in the IFPA National Championship. If Colorado’s Champion is unable to attend the IFPA National Championship, our runner-up will take his/her spot.
The sixth annual IFPA National Championship will be held on Thursday, March 28th, 2019 in Las Vegas, NV. Additional details on the format and prizes can be found HERE.