Dory Hill XIII: September 8-10, 2023
All Dory Hill chatter can be found on Facebook and Discord. Questions about the event can be emailed here.
Tournament Tickets and Waitlist
Tickets go on-sale June 17th at 10am Mountain at this link.
We’re opening up the tournament to 140 players and have added a D Division this year! Each ticket is $50 ($30 for tournament entry and $20 for event fee) plus Eventbrite ticketing fees ($5.20/ticket). 100% of the entry costs are paid out in cash prizes to winners in each division. The event fee allows us to cover event expenses without paying out of our own pocket. Any unspent money from the event fees collected will be added to the tournament prize pool.
Up to two tournament tickets may be purchased at a time. Once the event sells out, the waitlist will become automatically available at the same link. One waitlist ticket may be reserved at a time. The waitlisted players and game list will be posted here on June 17th after tickets have gone on-sale.
Once you have your tournament ticket, Deanna will be in contact with you via text and/or email about finding you a spot to stay on-site for the weekend. See Accommodations for more info.
Cancellation and refund policy: Refunds will apply to tournament tickets, event fee and site rental. Tickets are non-transferrable.
100% refund from now through July 28th
50% refund from July 29th – August 25th
No refunds after August 25th
Schedule of Events
Friday September 8th
Check-in at the Admin Tent (at RV4, located between Cabin G and Bathrooms) when you arrive to register your PinGolf group. Players form their own 4-player groups though we’ll need a few 3-player groups as well. We can also help find you a group if you don’t have one already when you check-in Friday.
7pm – Deadline for having games setup and operational
8pm – Event announcements followed by Stall Ball Tournament (optional side tournament, $1/player, winner takes all) – meet at Admin Tent
Saturday September 9th
10am – Meet at Playground for group photo then Qualifying begins
8pm – Qualifying ends and ballots for Best Cabin Decorations are due
Sunday – September 10th
9:30am – A Division check-in at Admin Tent
10am – B, C and D Divisions check-in at Admin Tent
3pm – Closing Ceremonies and Awards
Qualifying – 18-hole PinGolf course, Saturday 10am – 8pm
Everyone qualifies for finals – 32 in A Division, 36 in B Division, 36 in C Division and 36 in our new D Division!
A Division Finals – Sunday 9:30am
4-player groups, 3 games per round, PinGolf scoring, top 2 advance
Cash prizes for 1st – 8th, Medals for 1st – 4th
B, C and D Division Finals – Sunday 10am
11-hole PinGolf course
Cash prizes for 1st – 4th, Medals for 1st – 4th
Full tournament rules can be found here.
Bring a Game
If you have a reliable machine that you’re willing to bring to the event, please let us know!
Along with your game you’ll need to bring: a tarp or two to protect it from the elements, clamps (qty 6-7 C-clamps, 4″ or greater…spring clamps are useful too) and rope to secure the tarps, heavy gauge extension cord and a power strip. It’s also wise to bring a moving blanket or cardboard to set your playfield glass on while setting up. RV sites and the pavilion have concrete slabs. Cabin porches are wooden slats.
If you plan to host your game at an RV site please have a pop-up canopy and tarps to enclose the space and keep your machine protected along with an extension cord and power strip. Each RV site has power and a concrete slab which makes life a lot easier. Zip ties are handy to have for securing the power cord to the canopy frame, up and away from any potential water. Safety first!
If your game is placed in the pavilion we will have the walls tarped and ready for your arrival on Friday so no need to worry about that, but you will need to bring an extension cord and power strip. Bring a dolly if you have one as it will make it a bit easier to get your machine inside the pavilion.
About outdoor pinball: Our weather is unpredictable and when it’s cold outside, wrapping your machines in blankets overnight while leaving them powered on is a real pro move. This helps to combat condensation forming inside the machine. Conversely, tarps that protect games from the rain/snow also shield it from the sun which can warp plastic and playfields so do come armed with tarps and a pop-up canopy if the game is at an RV site.
Please note that all games must remain onsite and playable for the duration of the tournament.
And while not required, it’s nice to reset the high scores so that players have an opportunity to put their initials up. 🙂
Cabin (and RV site) Decorating Contest
If you’re bringing a game and also staying in a cabin or RV spot, we hold a decorating contest with medals awarded to first and second place. It’s loads of fun and really gives our event that special flavor of weird. Try to theme your area to the game(s) hosted at your site. No idea is too bizarre!
Note: Staple guns are NOT allowed. Secure tarps and decor with non-marking fasteners.
Tilt-Hammer Shirts and Hoodies
Yes! Zach Smith is making us swag again this year. Shirts and hoodies will be available for purchase. You can find Zach at site RV 13.
There are more people who attend this event than can stay on the campgrounds. We prioritize on-site accommodations for those who bring games and do our level best to make room for as many people as possible. There are no more cabins available at this point. Those who are willing to camp at tent sites and share their site with others have a better chance of staying on the grounds.
Site types (must book for 3 nights)
- Cabins A-F, J-M – $95/night, max 4 people, heat and electricity
- Cabins G-I – $145/night, max 4 people, “glamping” so bedding is included (no dogs allowed)
- RV site (Qty 11) – $75/night, max 6 people per site, firepit, water and electric
- Tent sites (Qty 8) – $40/night, max 6 people per site, firepit
Each cabin has a bunk bed (two singles) and one double bed, each with a mattress. You will need to provide your own bedding and pillow unless you are in a “glamping” cabin.
There is a $28 pet fee per dog for the entire stay. Max 2 dogs per site. This is a new policy from Base Camp this year.
Cabins, RV and tent sites are allowed 1 vehicle each. All additional vehicles must park in the overflow lot, adjacent to the baseball field.
Those staying on-site can check-in Friday September 8th at 2pm.
One person from each site should check-in with the front office (inside the convenience store). You will be asked to provide your contact info and leave a credit card on file with Base Camp for incidentals. We are required to maintain an accurate list of people staying on-site including names, emails and phone numbers so please communicate to us everyone that is in your party, whether they are playing in the tournament or not. No impromptu crashing.
The event will conclude mid-late afternoon on Sunday September 10th. Those staying on-site may choose to leave after the event or stay through the night in which case check-out is at 11am Monday September 11th.
Please follow the rules, keep the campground tidy and us in Base Camp’s good graces.
Whether you’re unable to stay on the campgrounds or you’re just not the camping type, there are lodging options nearby in Black Hawk. Bonus if you enjoy gambling as many of them are casinos. 😉
- Cold Springs Campground – 2 minute drive
- Hotels in Black Hawk – 10 minute drive
Base Camp at Golden Gate Canyon (formerly known as Dory Hill)
661 Hwy 46
Black Hawk, Colorado 80422
We have booked the entire campground from Friday (check-in at 2p) to Monday (check-out by 11am). You’re welcome to head out after the closing ceremonies on Sunday or stay through Monday.
Campground Rules & Hours
- Dogs are allowed (though not in glamping cabins) but must be on leash at all times. $28/dog for the duration of your stay. Max 2 dogs per site.
- No smoking in the cabins
- No marijuana
- Don’t park in front of the convenience store
- Park in the large lot adjacent to the baseball field
- Bathrooms & showers closed 11am-1pm
- Convenience & liquor store hours 7am – 10pm
- Games off at 12am on the south end (Cabins A-D)
- All games off at 2am
- Convenience store selling snacks, drinks, firewood, camping supplies, toiletries, souvenirs, coffee and Bonfire Burritos. There may be Hunts Brothers pizza at the time of the event but we’ll need to check on the status of that closer to the event date. Stay tuned..
- Liquor store selling beer, wine, liquor and ice
- Free WiFi near the convenience store
- Cell service (based on 2023): AT&T is good, T-Mobile is good, Verizon is bad, Xfinity Mobile works by the bathrooms
- Fuel: regular and diesel
- Clean showers and bathrooms
- Laundromat and large sink for washing dishes – hours: 7am – 9pm
- Dress in layers. It’s often hot during the day and cold at night.
- Rain gear and extra pair of shoes and socks in case your feet get wet. The PinGolf course is spread throughout the campground so you’ll be walking in the rain/snow (though hopefully not).
- Flashlight or headlamp. It gets really dark at night!
- Towels and shower sandals for the shower, though the bathrooms are very clean. Quarters for the shower – $1.25/3 minutes (as of 2022)
- Cabins have beds (1 full and 2 twin bunk beds) but no bedding. Bring a sleeping bag or bedding and a pillow. Glamping cabins include bedding and pillows.
- Camping chairs, sunscreen and a hat.
- Single dollar bills for dollar games of course!
- Ashtrays – very important if you smoke, there can’t be butts littered about!
- Trash bags – like any good scout, we keep our camp tidy.